POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: Chris Cason
Date: 30 Nov 2006 13:16:33
Message: <456f2001@news.povray.org>
You have a good point.

My position is that it is simply not reasonable for anyone who uses an
'official' include file to have to credit the author(s) of the include. I'd
categorize an 'official' include file as anything that is provided with
POV-Ray for the purpose (or officially endorsed as such).

Previously I have mentioned the possibility of having two repositories; the
'standard' one, and the 'ad-hoc' one (or some similar description). From my
point of view, for an include to become part of the 'standard' repository,
the use of the include must be free of restrictions, in much the same way as
the current official includes are.

Ultimately some authors may choose not to allow their scenes to become part
of the standard repository since they don't want to allow their work to be
used without attribution, and in that case that's their call.

NB I'd also suggest that, as a standard, all includes from the repository
have a test in them like the following:

  #ifndef (Attributed_Includes_OK)
    #error "This include file requires attribution"
  #end

So unless the user sets this in his/her scene file prior to pulling in any
includes, they will be alerted if they accidentally include a file that
requires them to attribute the author.

-- Chris