POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 30 Nov 2006 12:01:06
Message: <456f0e52$1@news.povray.org>

web.456f05996ea74aa93976a8750@news.povray.org...

> I hope that at least silent onlookers vote for or against the few licenses
> we're able to sort out after these discussions.  I don't know, some kind
> of
> poll so that we can get a taste of what the vast silent majority are
> thinking about... since this is intended to be a collaborative project, i
> don't think it's fair to simply impose a license based on what 3 or 4
> people think is better...

When I was looking for a license to distribute my SDL code some years ago,
and after reviewing the various licenses available, I finally chose the
Creative Commons "By Attribution" license. It seemed the simplest, both for
me and for the users, particularly for things are both art and software. It
boils down to "you can do everything you want with my stuff as long as you
credit me (if I want to)", which is something that anyone can understand.
OTOH software-specific licenses like the LGPL are much more obscure for
non-programmers.

G.