POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Organisation : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation
From: Chris Cason
Date: 30 Nov 2006 07:50:23
Message: <456ed38f$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:
> If the macro/object requires any other includes, they would be listed as
> dependencies. If it doesn't want to depend on another include for some other

Come to think of it, tracking dependencies would probably be important for
versioning too - e.g. if 'abc.inc' only works with version 1.1 of 'def.inc'
then we either need to provide links to the older version of 'def.inc', mark
'abc.inc' as broken, or attempt to have some sort of backward-compatibility
standard.

Personally, I feel that apart from the case of bug fixes, if an include file
in the standard portion of the library needs to be changed in such a way that
it would adversely affect other files that use it (where such use is done
according to the documented interface), there should be some attempt made to
keep the old behaviour and provide the new behaviour only to files that
expect it (i.e. have been written to use the new feature).

-- Chris