POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: Chris B
Date: 29 Nov 2006 17:38:36
Message: <456e0bec$1@news.povray.org>
Hello again,

"Sabrina Kilian" <ykg### [at] vtedu> wrote in message

> So, what do we want to see it licensed as? Ignore the legal terms for a
> while, and let's figure out what we want it to be. Then we can figure
> out which license will work.

Well I'm in favour of a very liberal license, so personally I'd be ok with
the terms in the CC Attribution license or even the CC Public Domain
Dedication (though, with the latter, as I understand it, each work would
then need dedicating, which could be tedious for contributors). If we agreed
to a more stringent license that afforded more protection to authors then I
can always apply the more liberal terms to copies on my own web sites, so
I'm not strongly opposed to a slightly more strict license either.

I think it's really picking a level that we feel won't deter potential
contributors but that also won't stop the community from modifying and
redistributing contributions, particularly back through this collection.
Personally I'd prefer that they could modify and redistribute in other ways
too (e.g. for profit), simply because I feel that people are more likely to
invest their time in something where there's a prospect that they'll be free
to use it in more or less any way they like in the future (but I can't prove
that).

Regards,
Chris B.