POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Organisation : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:24:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation
From: Chris B
Date: 27 Nov 2006 17:36:55
Message: <456b6887@news.povray.org>
"Florian Brucker" <tor### [at] torfboldcom> wrote in message
> My 2 cents:
>
> Like Darren I suggest using sets of key words instead of fixed
> categories. IMHO such collections really depend on a good search
> function, and categories are just hard to search through. Available
> search options should include the needed POV version, key words and
> perhaps the author.

I'm onside with the keyword search idea, though we'll need some way of
getting good keywords, resolving typos etc. I guess we could have a machine
readable keywords file with each submission that could be processed by a
script on the server. I'd also quite like some categorisation for the
reasons I've stated in response to Darren's post, but if I'm alone in this
I'll drop it.

> Of course the list of possible features is endless. If time permits it's
> always nice to have things like "most downloaded", ratings, etc.

They do such statistics already on the links collection on povray.org, so
that may not be too hard.

> Ah, and of course Sample images (not too small, i.e. at least 320x240)
> are a must-have :)

Just a thought, but if the include file itself or an accompanying scene file
could be rendered with standard switches, then it may be possible to
generate images automatically.
This could also be handy when new versions of POV-Ray are released as it
would be possible to script the rendering of all of the submissions to
rapidly establish which ones are compatible with the new release.

> Regards,
> Florian

Regards,
Chris.