POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Organisation : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation
From: Chris B
Date: 27 Nov 2006 17:21:39
Message: <456b64f3$1@news.povray.org>
"Sabrina Kilian" <ykg### [at] vtedu> wrote in message
> Chris B wrote:
>> Any ideas?
>
> For just distributing, an index of available functions, textures,
> macros, etc and what they do and which specific include they are in.
> Each developer could have one or more includes that contain their work,
> divided how ever they like. Should a tree bark texture go in a texture
> file or should it be added to the include with trees? I'd argue for
> keeping textures separate from objects, but after seeing some of the
> tricks in POV-Ray I'm not sure there really is such a distinction.

I agree that an index of functions, textures and macros would be
advantageous. We'd need a list of keywords, as Darren mentioned. This
implies some sort of server-side processing to build the index. I'm not sure
what options there might be on povray.org for implementing this.

In my includes I try to split out the textures and objects with varying
degrees of success. I usually set a default texture in the object #include
file so that I can do test renders without a scene file. I think this is
probably an area where we should write up some best practices, but stop
short of making it a standard.

Regards,
Chris B.