POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Organisation : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:28:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation
From: Chris B
Date: 27 Nov 2006 17:12:43
Message: <456b62db@news.povray.org>
news:456b2d1c$1@news.povray.org...
> Chris B wrote:
>> Any ideas?
>
> Perhaps a better way would be to have each submission include the include
> file, a sample scene, and a small render of the sample scene, along with a
> list of keywords describing the include file.

This sounds a good start and maybe an optional HTML users guide

> (I'm not sure there's one directory where you would file a macro for a
> mandelbrot-driven crowd of chair-dancers.)

That certainly conjures up some images in my mind.

Though I agree with the indexing, I still think there is something to be
said for grouping stuff. For example, my POV-Person library includes a macro
for positioning groups of people on a surface. Grouping it alongside a
mandelbrot-driven macro for positioning crowds could help encourage someone
to integrate the two. I've had my eye on Rune's lipsync macro for some time.
If he could be persuaded to contribute it into the same category we might
end up with a human model that can walk and talk. I've also got a Rexx
text-to-speech script that could be bundled to add a spoken sound-track.

If we create categories based on areas of interest we may also be able to
divide up any maintenance work a bit more.

> Add keyword search.
>
> Later, add a link to create a zip file of the found items on demand.

I like this idea, we could do a sort of catalogue. I've got a DHTML
client-side catalogue that I could contribute that enables you to select
items and add them to a list. It can then generate a list of links within
the browser (IE or Mozilla/Netscape) to allow the user to download the files
one at a time. To get the server to build the listed objects into a single
zip file may be more technically challenging.