POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: Chris B
Date: 27 Nov 2006 12:22:36
Message: <456b1edc$1@news.povray.org>
To summarise the discussions so far on defining a license for an area on
povray.org to hold collections of objects etc.:

We seem to have 100% vote for adopting a single license for the whole
collection (3 out of 3).
Similarly all seem keen on making the collection as open to re-use as
possible.

It sounds like the POV-Ray license would not be able to cover this
collection without modification.

I'm not sure that the GPL or LGPL licenses are all that appropriate because
they contain a lot of terminology that is exclusively oriented towards
software/programs rather than works of a creative or artistic nature (no
offence to application developers intended). I think this was probably why
the Creative Commons Licenses came into being. The reproduction and
distribution of images and computerised descriptions of scenes can throw up
unique issues, such as, when is an image a reproduction and when is it a
representation of the original work? (i.e. is a thumbnail a copy or can it
reasonably be used in an index or search engine).

Unless we can enlist the help of a licensing Guru then rolling our own is
probably out of the question.

I therefore think we're probably down to picking from the list of available
Creative Commons licenses/certificates. Would anyone care to agree or
disagree with that?

To move on into some of the detail:

On the subject of scene files, I didn't necessarily see this as being a
place where finished scenes would go, although samples and example scene
files could accompany objects, textures, macros and include files to
illustrate their use. I would argue that there are other forums where fully
finished and refined scenes can be maintained including the IRTC and various
Internet galleries, POV-Ray rings etc.

If an image is rendered from a sample scene file and sold on Zazzle or to
the Tate Gallery, then I would propose that we have no more access to the
cash than the guys who made the pile of bricks that the Tate Gallery bought
for a wheelbarrow full of money a few years back. The money goes to the
artist who makes the sale. In any case, if very minor changes could get the
artist/charlatan out of trouble, then, would the addition of a corporate
logo to your pride and joy really make you feel any better?

The other issue raised by Sabrina and Nemesis is around whether users of the
collection should be required to contribute their work back to the
collection. My vote is that we don't impose such a restriction. Personally
I'd like to see a license that's about as close to public domain as we think
we can get. I'd prefer one that allows re-use for both commercial and
non-commercial purposes without needing to give credit to the original
authors. I'd also like people to be able to redistribute the files in
original or modified form. I think we should maybe suggest that giving
credit is polite, but not make it a licensing condition.

Am I out on my own now, or is anyone else thinking along the same lines?

Regards,
Chris B.