POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : cropping or cutting output : Re: cropping or cutting output Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:29:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cropping or cutting output
From: Chris B
Date: 27 Nov 2006 08:53:03
Message: <456aedbf$1@news.povray.org>
"Olaf Doschke" <b2x### [at] strconv14de> wrote in
message news:456ae1a4$1@news.povray.org...

> I wanted to create icons for applications, so
> I used background {rgbt <0,0,0,1>}, but as
> I now wanted a reflection of the object on
> a shiny floor, that alone won't help. I need to
> cut out the icon and it's reflection, as the shiny
> floor should later be the applications form
> background, no matter what color that is,
> don't want to render for each application form
> color.
>
> I'm now creating an image without the floor
> to get the icon itself with the correct alphachannel,
> then one image with the a shiny white floor, of
> which I then need only the reflection part and
> use the brightness as alphachannel (as I
> want a transition to the applications form color,
> I can use the brightness as alpha channel).
>
> A bit complicated, but I had no better idea.
>
> Maybe a floor with color rgbt <0,0,0,1>?
> Wonder if that would have a reflection, if
> I don't set the interior, but would nevertheless
> itself be transparent??!
>
> Bye, Olaf.

Hi Olaf,

There are a couple of approaches you may like to try to see if they give you
the sort of effect you're after.

You can set transparency and reflection to whatever you want (doesn't have
to follow real-world logic) so, along with command line switches of +UA +FN
you can use a plane that is both transparent and reflective.

plane {y,-1
  texture {
    pigment {color rgbt 1}
    finish {reflection 1}
  }
}

Alternatively, you could create a roughened fully transparent, fully
reflective texture, so that it adopts the background color in some parts,
then use that colour as the transparency colour in a gif, allowing the
background colour to appear in places. The following example gives more
transparency on the outer part of the reflection of the object because the
granite normal causes more of the reflected rays to miss the object:

camera {location <0,1,-5> look_at <0,-1,0>}
light_source { <1, 2, -20> color rgb 1}

sphere {0,1 pigment {color rgb <1,1,1>}}
plane {y,-1
  texture {
    pigment {color rgbt 1}
    normal {granite 0.1  scale 0.01}