POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: Chris B
Date: 23 Nov 2006 11:05:36
Message: <4565c6d0@news.povray.org>
This is an offshoot from the thread "povray standard include files" to
discuss licensing, copyright and release authorisations. The idea is to have
an area on povray.org where a collection of objects, textures and include
files, contributed by the POV-Ray community can be held so that anyone can
download and use them in their scenes (potentially with certain constraints,
as defined by a license).

I should start by saying that I'm not an expert in this field.

Warp explained that there's no fireproof way of explicitly placing work into
the public domain (or at least, none that works effectively under all legal
systems). Also, whether the originator of a piece of work explicitly claims
copyright or not, they still retain rights over that work, including rights
to decide who can reproduce the work and how. The copyright owner can give
rights to others through a license or a release.

If I understand correctly, a release is simply a statement that you've
genuinely got the right to license something and that you're willing to do
so. In this context it could be that, when you submit something for
distribution on the povray server that you state that you understand the
origins of the content, that you do have distribution rights and that you
are happy for that work to be distributed (in accordance with the terms of
distribution covering the collection). I therefore think the release will
probably be a standard piece of text that you can copy into a note
accompanying a submission to the collection.

I think that licensing is the thing that needs most discussion. One option
is for each person to define their own license and include information
within their submission about the terms of their license. Personally I think
this would be a minefield for people wishing to use the files and I don't
think it would really differentiate this collection from the many assorted
files available around the Internet.

I would rather see a standard license that would cover this entire
collection and I think the main candidates are:
  o  The POV-Ray license
  o  A Creative Commons License (see
http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/meet-the-licenses)
  o  Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/)
  o  A custom license covering this collection

My view is that having an area on povray.org where all of the contributions
can be re-used without any preconditions (or with a very minimal agreed
standard set) would be good for POV-Ray and would make an important
differentiator for this collection over other object and include file sites.
This would also mean that the POV-Ray community could freely enhance these
contributions over the years without having to get permission from previous
contributors who may now be uncontactable. The downside is that it may
discourage some contributors from submitting their work.

Any thoughts/ideas welcome.

Regards,
Chris B.