POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Megapov XRS Server v2.1.1 and pyxrsclient 0.6.10 released. Important update= : Re: Megapov XRS Server v2.1.1 and pyxrsclient 0.6.10 released. Important up= Server Time
28 Apr 2024 23:34:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Megapov XRS Server v2.1.1 and pyxrsclient 0.6.10 released. Important up=
From: Ryan Bennitt
Date: 19 Nov 2006 07:45:14
Message: <456051da$1@news.povray.org>
>> > Jaime Vives Piqueres found a way to virtually eliminate radiosity
>> > tiling
>> > artifacts in his MegaPOV XRS renders. As I recall, he uses a two-pass
>> > method. With a regular copy of MegaPOV he generates the radiosity data
>> > at
>> > lower resolution and scene complexity. Then, he copies the rad data to
>> > all
>> > the servers and does a usual XRS distributed render.
>>
>> Yeah, saw the thread. Makes sense, I'll give it a go.

Well tried it and I've ended up with tiling artefacts everywhere. It wasn't
exactly a complex scene either. Just a room with box walls and ceiling,
isosurface carpet, high poly mesh armchair, low poly mesh side table and
CSG'd cone lamp shade. All I did was add the following lines:

#if( GENERATE_RADIOSITY )
    save_file "Sofa-radiosity.rad"
#else
    load_file "Sofa-radiosity.rad"
    //always_sample off
#end

Then ran the first pass GENERATE_RADIOSITY=1 to generate the radiosity file,
copy file to both PC's, then rendered the scene with GENERATE_RADIOSITY=0.
Tried with and without "always_sample off" but it made no difference. Will
playing with other parameters help to reduce the artefacts? e.g. increase
count, reduce error_bound, etc. Or is this just a problem with radiosity
that will likely never go away?

Ryan