POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray standard include files : Re: povray standard include files Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray standard include files
From: Tek
Date: 18 Nov 2006 11:20:48
Message: <455f32e0$1@news.povray.org>
"stm31415" <sam### [at] cscom> wrote in message
> I'm not sure --- I would rather have a set of standards written OUTSIDE of
> pov, an ISO/ANSI/POV-SO? of sorts, that can be conformed to by direct
> choice. It would be fantastic to have a format to follow with a scene
> file,
> a way to think about lighting, and all that jazz. But I don't want it
> written into pov. User-friendlyness is just another word for
> 'thinks-it-knows-what-I-want-better-than-I-do.'

I agree with that idea, users should have to choose to enter into this
standard, it shouldn't affect anyone else.

But I would point out one problem: If you have a set of include files to
make building scenes easier by standardising things, then you'll never be
able to use any of my code, or the code of any other pov artist who doesn't
work within those standards. In fact if we assume we're talking of a library
of include files to make things simpler, then it stands to reason that most
people who use it won't be particularly skilled, and as such the library is
going to be a pain to extend with any high quality elements. You'd need some
skilled povvers to dedicate a bit of time to build new models or port nice
models into that standard...

Anyway I'm just waffling. It sounds like a lot of work and I take my hat off
to anyone with enough community spirit to do it! :)

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com