POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray standard include files : Re: povray standard include files Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray standard include files
From: Tek
Date: 15 Nov 2006 21:11:28
Message: <455bc8d0@news.povray.org>
I don't mean to sound arrogant, but the only includes I ever use are
transforms, rad_def, and functions, all of which I feel should be part of
the language (why's vturbulence part of the SDL but f_granite isn't?!).
Anyway my point is, even if we had more include files, I'd never use them!
So I guess that kind of undermines whatever point I'm trying to make with
the rest of this message... but pressing on anyway:

The reason I don't use them is, for example, materials inc;ude files only
look right if you have the assumed_gamma used by whoever created the
includes, and no radiosity (because they have an ambient finish). In fact I
find even though I often use similar settings in my scenes it's extremely
hard for me to transfer materials or effects from one scene to another
without some major editting to fit the different lighting setup. Perhaps
this is a nuance of povray's way of doing radiosity and finishes, but I
think more likely it's just symptomatic of having such a flexible render
engine, it's just a lot easier to make scenes vastly different in pov than
other renderers.

To make these things work you'd have to make assumptions/standardisations
for lighting (radiosity or not, brightness), scale (since it's a pain to
re-scale each thing, plus media effects don't scale well)... Not to mention
effects that interfere with each other (for example my ocean from p.b.i
doesn't play nicely with fog, because it's hollow so it can be filled with
media). I'm just very sceptical that these issues can be resolved in a way
that is simple for newbies to understand and doesn't interfere with more
advanced users.

Personally I'd say having some better example scenes, which people could
tweak to their own ends, would be better. e.g. have a basic interior with
radiosity (e.g. kitchen scene), photo studio setup, landscape, etc etc. Each
with a variety of nicely defined objects and materials that newbies could
rearrange to their hearts content before needing to understand the more
technical features of pov.

Anyway just my 2 cents.
--
Tek