POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray standard include files : Re: povray standard include files Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray standard include files
From: Jim Charter
Date: 15 Nov 2006 05:04:08
Message: <455ae618$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Chris Cason wrote:
>
>> Well the first issue is that we need to get a written release of
>> permission,
>> plus if the work is based on another work, that needs permission, etc
>> etc ...
>

> I was thinking, when I saw the short-code contest announcement, that it
> would be cool to see a "texture" contest. One submits a texture, be it
> wood, stone, leaves, water, skin, hair, whatever, in a fairly simple
> scene, self-contained, not unlike Tek's recent "artistic water".
>
> I'm not sure how good an idea this is, but I thought it would be a cool
> way to showcase POV, showing off its strengths relative to more
> model-oriented renderers.

The caveate, I think, is that textures are not so autonomous.  There
success depends significantly on context, expecially lighting, but also
the objects, their scale etc.  Sometimes a texture effect requires
finish parameters that are quite extreme and work in conjunction with
the whole scene

Example:
Back in the day I once showed this picture
http://oz.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-10-31/danocean.jpg
to someone I worked with to demonstrate the power of POV-Ray.  The
response I got was:  "It looks like hardened lava"  Well yeah, I does
look like hardened lava but it also looks like a photo of water under a
plausible set of circunstances like low light, from a moving ship, and a
slow shutter speed, etc.  The picture reminded me much of WWII naval
photographs in fact.   So I thought it was very good and real, but I was
also applying a somewhat forgiving "eye" to the result.

I believe this is also the reason why the attempt to collect texture
examples at povwiki met with only limited success.  It is very difficult
to buuild a texture that will work universally whatever the context it
is put into.

So such a contest would be interesting, but I think this dependency
issue would need to be addressed or else I could see the thing leading
to frustration.