POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray standard include files : Re: povray standard include files Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray standard include files
From: Warp
Date: 14 Nov 2006 22:54:51
Message: <455a8f8b@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> A very good idea, indeed.  But what is preventing you from showcasing
> textures in the short code contest right now anyway? :)

  The size limitation.

> If someone can explicitely grant another rights to modify software, can't
> someone explicitely say "I hereupon put this software into the public
> domain"?

  The problem is that copyright legislature of most countries don't have
a notion of "putting something in the public domain". In fact, most such
legislatures, quite ironically, don't even have a concept of "public domain"
explicitly (they just have the notion of copyright expiration).

  This means that someone can state "this is public domain", but that
doesn't necessarily have any legal relevance. Many lawyers strongly
suggest not relying on such a statement, but instead they recommend
using an explicit license such as the MIT license or Creative Commons.
Those licenses have legal authority, while "publid domain" might not.

--
                                                          - Warp