POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray standard include files : Re: povray standard include files Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray standard include files
From: John VanSickle
Date: 14 Nov 2006 20:56:38
Message: <455a73d6@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:

> Sometimes, i wonder why there is this feeling in the povray community that
> everything should be built from scratch.  What i mean is:  while povray is
> an excellent and very versatile software it comes with a very limited
> "standard library" of objects and textures and this sure hampers "code
> reuse".  Specially because this is the 2000's, but the small povray stdlib
> still comes with include files from the 1990's!
>
> I've seen such amazing models, textures and techiniques from many povray
> enthusiasts from over the years.  There are at least two nice lens flare
> include files from well-known POV-Team members, but that aren't featured in
> the stdlib!  What about the many tree and grass macro packages?  Why isn't
> there at least one of them in the standard library?

Actually, some of my Thoroughly Useful Macros were slightly renamed and
put into one of the standard includes, so there are some additions over
time.

However, standard objects, such as dishes, tables, and so forth tend to
be easily recognizable as copied items.  To have the variety that many
POV artists would demand would require a very large library of stuff,
which takes time to debug, etc.

Regards,
John