POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Image Maps : Re: Image Maps Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:27:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image Maps
From: Chris B
Date: 14 Nov 2006 19:06:04
Message: <455a59ec$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote in message

> "Basiclife" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm trying to do ...  map an image around a globe.
>>
>> I have ye-authentic satellite image of the earth as a JPG (I can change
>> format if req'd) and I have a sphere with a light on it. I'm having
>> problems combining the 2
>>

>> Thanks in advance
>>

> Hi, You want something like:
>
> sphere {0,1
>  pigment {image_map {jpeg "earth.jpg" map_type 1}}
>  translate <0.1,0.2,0.3>
> }
>
> The image is mapped to the sphere at the origin using map_type 1
> (spherical mapping) and is then translated (along with the mapped image)
> to wherever you want it in the scene.
>
> Regards,
> Chris B.

I should have also mentioned that you might get better results with map_type
2 (cylindrical mapping) depending on the type of projection used to create
the image. You may also need to add bands to the top and/or bottom of the
image, depending on whether the image you have goes all the way to the
poles.

Regards,
Chris B.