POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Image Maps : Re: Image Maps Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:29:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image Maps
From: Chris B
Date: 14 Nov 2006 18:59:36
Message: <455a5868@news.povray.org>
"Basiclife" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.455a4e6b21f939cba4c94b1b0@news.povray.org...

> I'm trying to do ...  map an image around a globe.
>
> I have ye-authentic satellite image of the earth as a JPG (I can change
> format if req'd) and I have a sphere with a light on it. I'm having
> problems combining the 2
>

> Thanks in advance

Hi, You want something like:

sphere {0,1
  pigment {image_map {jpeg "earth.jpg" map_type 1}}
  translate <0.1,0.2,0.3>
}

The image is mapped to the sphere at the origin using map_type 1 (spherical
mapping) and is then translated (along with the mapped image) to wherever
you want it in the scene.

Regards,
Chris B.