POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray standard include files : Re: povray standard include files Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray standard include files
From: Chris Cason
Date: 14 Nov 2006 07:38:46
Message: <4559b8d6$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> What would it need to get foreign work into povray standard include files?

Well the first issue is that we need to get a written release of permission,
plus if the work is based on another work, that needs permission, etc etc ...

I don't deny the standard scenes and includes could be supplemented usefully,
perhaps as an additional download (or included with the standard one - I
think people are a bit less worried about download sizes now than they were
ten years ago).

In terms of an object collection, while it's something I'd love to see, to do
it properly would probably require that we have some sort of standard means
to 'encapsulate' an object. By that I mean that if you want to for example
'#include "kitchensink.inc" in your scene, it would help if the way you /use/
the kitchen sink is standardized, with respect to the initial size, placement
and so forth. Another possibility is to have some standard 'knobs' that all
such objects share (where 'knobs' are a set of predefined SDL variables that
can be set prior to the #include, or passed in the macro call if applicable).

I have some other ideas for objects, too, but that's not for now.

If the community wanted to work together to come up with a system that would
smoothly integrate with other people's workflow by providing some standards
such as this I'd be quite prepared to support it by setting up a site for it
and providing whatever hosting support is needed.

-- Chris
   POV-Team