POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Rendering cylindrical textures? : Re: Rendering cylindrical textures? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:40:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering cylindrical textures?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 11 Nov 2006 11:19:04
Message: <4555f7f8$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> If all you want is maya oriented tips, then you are in the wrong group.

Hehe, see below. :-)

> One thing that you can do, is to model in maya, then export and render
> in POV-Ray. Take a look at poseray, it can convert many formats into POV
> format.

I figured it out, and I'll explain it. I guess you've been
misunderstanding me all the time, or I was writing cryptic...

I export the roof-mesh to POV-Ray and then use a script to place
shingles onto it, placing hundreds of them and thus get a nice, slated
roof - all inside POV-Ray.

I put the camera inside the roof, viewing outwards, and set all tiles to
no_image. There's a large cylinder around the roof, which does nothing
else than reflecting.
Thus, when my cylindrical camera looks outward, I see the roof as if
from the outside (no_image-Objects show up in reflections). The
resulting render I can use for a cylindrical mapping inside Maya.

My problem was to set the camera to cylindrical and ensuring that I see
all 360 degrees around me, otherwise the texture wouldn't line up at the
seams.

Basically, I was after rendering a cylindrical texture to map onto the
roof, how to model everything wasn't the issue. Guess I went about
explaining it the wrong way round. :-) Hope I didn't annoy you too much.

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias"