POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Rendering cylindrical textures? : Re: Rendering cylindrical textures? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering cylindrical textures?
From: Alain
Date: 11 Nov 2006 10:40:35
Message: <4555eef3$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 11/11/2006 02:47:
> Alain wrote:
>> You can create shingles with as few as 4 polys: a square for the top
>> and front and 2 triangles for the edges, or using a mesh of 6
>> triangles. It's possible as you never see the under side. In  POV-Ray,
>> a mesh is only referenced, so it only takes a minimal amount of memory
>> to have even 1000000 instances.

> Ahem, I know all that. I'm using Autodesk's Maya 8 for everything, I
> just want to create a texture for the roofs made up of a couple dozen
> polys, instead of thousands. And Maya is such a PITA that I don't want
> to clutter the scene with hundreds of instances of a small mesh. Thus, I
> want to render a texture.
> Think of it as a 3D-Game-Engine-Object, you don't want to place
> thousands of small objects into a game just for a roof.

> Regards,
> Tim

If all you want is maya oriented tips, then you are in the wrong group.
One thing that you can do, is to model in maya, then export and render in
POV-Ray. Take a look at poseray, it can convert many formats into POV format.

--
Alain
There will always be beer cans rolling on the floor of your car when the boss