POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Rendering cylindrical textures? : Re: Rendering cylindrical textures? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:39:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering cylindrical textures?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 11 Nov 2006 02:47:31
Message: <45558013@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> You can create shingles with as few as 4 polys: a square for the top and
> front and 2 triangles for the edges, or using a mesh of 6 triangles.
> It's possible as you never see the under side. In  POV-Ray, a mesh is
> only referenced, so it only takes a minimal amount of memory to have
> even 1000000 instances.

Ahem, I know all that. I'm using Autodesk's Maya 8 for everything, I
just want to create a texture for the roofs made up of a couple dozen
polys, instead of thousands. And Maya is such a PITA that I don't want
to clutter the scene with hundreds of instances of a small mesh. Thus, I
want to render a texture.
Think of it as a 3D-Game-Engine-Object, you don't want to place
thousands of small objects into a game just for a roof.

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias"