POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Rendering cylindrical textures? : Re: Rendering cylindrical textures? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:05:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering cylindrical textures?
From: Alain
Date: 10 Nov 2006 18:47:30
Message: <45550f92$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 10/11/2006 18:06:
> Alain wrote:
>> Did you try cylindrical warp? spherical warp?

> That's more or less what I was getting at with the uv-mapping. Let's
> just say the texture has 20 tiles along the x-axis. There'd be 20 tiny
> tiles at the top of the cone, and 20 large tiles at the bottom. But
> tiles are usually about the same size, so I can't use a warp to stretch
> the texture to fit the cone.

>> You also can use trace to place your tiles on the conical and onion
>> shaped roofs  and do away with texture maping.

> That's what I was aiming at: scripting the placement of tiles, but
> *then* I need to rebake that into a texture to apply it to a polygon
> model...

> I guess I forgot to mention in my original post that the castle is
> modelled in Maya and will be rendered with Mental Ray, and the PCs we
> have for the task are barely able to load the scene as it is, I can't
> throw another couple thousand poly's in there just for a few tiles.
> Thus, I want to create the roof with script in POV-Ray, and render the
> resulting placement of tiles to an image I can use as a texture to
> project onto the polygons in Maya. A little complicated and probably
> somehow possible within Maya, but I've been getting fed up with the
> "professional" standard-crashing piece of software that I'd rather turn
> to a rock-solid freeware raytracer to do the task painlessly. :-)

> Regards,
> Tim

You can create shingles with as few as 4 polys: a square for the top and front
and 2 triangles for the edges, or using a mesh of 6 triangles. It's possible as
you never see the under side. In  POV-Ray, a mesh is only referenced, so it only
takes a minimal amount of memory to have even 1000000 instances.

--
Alain
Church of SubGenius: BoB shits.