POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Rendering cylindrical textures? : Re: Rendering cylindrical textures? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering cylindrical textures?
From: Alain
Date: 10 Nov 2006 16:20:07
Message: <4554ed07@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 10/11/2006 13:21:
> I've got a fairly elaborate problem in my project that I'm working on
> with a couple of co-students at the university. We're digitally
> reconstructing a castle and have a few towers with cone-tipped roofs or
> even onion-shaped (looking much like those arabic and/or indian
> tower-roofs)...

> Anyways, I've got a rectangular, tileable slate roof texture, and my
> idea was to create a bunch of single shingles, map them onto prisms or
> triangles/quads, and write a script which'll follow the shape of the
> roofs, place an appropriate amount of shingles based on the
> circumferance, move on to the next row... Until the roof is finished.
> I'd then render a top-view of the result and project that back onto the
> original cone.
Why that extra step? Your script can place your individual shingles/tiles
directly onto your roofs.

> This will work fine for those towers that actually have a cone as a
> roof, those that have onions will have a projection problem on places
> where the roof is nearly vertical. I began wondering if it might be
> possible to render a cylindrical view of the towers, but not from the
> inside out, instead, from the outside (a certain distance) towards the
> center. I thus would get a cylindrical texture I can map back onto the
> onion shape with little less stretching issues...

> Anyone have a clue about how I might achieve that with POV-Ray (just
> rendering that cylindrical view, everything else I can pretty much
> script myself)? I'm dimly remembering that there was once a patched
> POV-Ray which would allow functions as input for the camera, I'm
> wondering if I'd need that (and if anyone has a suitable function
> already at hand, I'm not that good with those)...

> Regards,
> Tim

> PS: Just re-reading this post for errors and misspelling, I was
> wondering if I could use the basic cylindrical rendering POV-Ray
> provides, but simply switch the roof-tiles to no_image, place a
> reflecting cylinder outside the roof, and thus, render the reflection
> *as if* I was looking from the outside... Hm, worth a shot, at least...

Did you try cylindrical warp? spherical warp?
You also can use trace to place your tiles on the conical and onion shaped roofs
  and do away with texture maping.

--
Alain
Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.