POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Rendering cylindrical textures? : Rendering cylindrical textures? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:41:40 EDT (-0400)
  Rendering cylindrical textures?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 10 Nov 2006 13:21:18
Message: <4554c31e@news.povray.org>
I've got a fairly elaborate problem in my project that I'm working on
with a couple of co-students at the university. We're digitally
reconstructing a castle and have a few towers with cone-tipped roofs or
even onion-shaped (looking much like those arabic and/or indian
tower-roofs)...

Anyways, I've got a rectangular, tileable slate roof texture, and my
idea was to create a bunch of single shingles, map them onto prisms or
triangles/quads, and write a script which'll follow the shape of the
roofs, place an appropriate amount of shingles based on the
circumferance, move on to the next row... Until the roof is finished.
I'd then render a top-view of the result and project that back onto the
original cone.

This will work fine for those towers that actually have a cone as a
roof, those that have onions will have a projection problem on places
where the roof is nearly vertical. I began wondering if it might be
possible to render a cylindrical view of the towers, but not from the
inside out, instead, from the outside (a certain distance) towards the
center. I thus would get a cylindrical texture I can map back onto the
onion shape with little less stretching issues...

Anyone have a clue about how I might achieve that with POV-Ray (just
rendering that cylindrical view, everything else I can pretty much
script myself)? I'm dimly remembering that there was once a patched
POV-Ray which would allow functions as input for the camera, I'm
wondering if I'd need that (and if anyone has a suitable function
already at hand, I'm not that good with those)...

Regards,
Tim

PS: Just re-reading this post for errors and misspelling, I was
wondering if I could use the basic cylindrical rendering POV-Ray
provides, but simply switch the roof-tiles to no_image, place a
reflecting cylinder outside the roof, and thus, render the reflection
*as if* I was looking from the outside... Hm, worth a shot, at least...

--
aka "Tim Nikias"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>