POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : parameters in Povray : Re: parameters in Povray Server Time
1 Jun 2024 08:48:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: parameters in Povray
From: marabou
Date: 2 Nov 2006 04:57:43
Message: <4549c116@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:

> marabou wrote:
>> Povray has a license which does not allow to distribute a not official
>> patched version. So doing it on my own does not look realistic.
>
> This is probably not correct, distribution of patched versions is
> permitted in most circumstances provided the requirements are followed.
> What part of the license do you have an issue with?
>
> -- Chris Cason
>    POV-Team

I would not call it an issue.
After reading source-license.txt I have understood that it is permitted to
alter source code in most circumstances. My thoughts are that:
Every source file has a copyright notice and a reference to povlegal(.doc).
Every copyright is related to POV team or Persistence of Vision Raytracer
Pty. Ltd. That is right. If code is altered, copyright holders a not more
completely correct, because someone has done modifications. It would look
as modified code would come from team members or, if source is marked
unofficial, you can not distinguish which codeline is official and which is
not.