POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Testing real-time raytracing : Re: Testing real-time raytracing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Testing real-time raytracing
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Nov 2006 04:47:56
Message: <4549becc@news.povray.org>
>>Still, I presume nobody is going to get realtime performance with media
>>or radiosity turned on. ;-)
>

> radiosity - when completed and SMP-enabled - will not be as much of a problem
> as you may think, provided that all of the samples are done in advance. after
> all, one of the advantages of radiosity is that, provided you don't move any
> object, the cache remains valid - even with a moved camera.

Actually, that's an interesting point... Would presumably mean the very
first frame still takes 20 minutes, and all the subsequent ones are
reasonably fast unless/until you expose new geometry.

Hmm... would be an interesting idea to let POV-Ray finish drawing the
frame without taking all the radiosity samples it would normally like,
and incrimentally add those as subsequent frames are drawn... OTOH, that
would probably be fairly complicated to code.