POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Testing real-time raytracing : Re: Testing real-time raytracing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Testing real-time raytracing
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Nov 2006 04:45:18
Message: <4549be2e$1@news.povray.org>
>>Presumably you need either a trivially simple scene or a 64-core server
>>to get truely "real time" performance from this...?
>

>   I haven't tested this yet, but what is your definition of "trivially
> simple"?

Well, that's the key really, isn't it?

I was thinking along the lines of something that doesn't involve any
surfaces more complicated than quadratic, no surface texturing of any
kind, no reflection or refraction, no media, radiosity, photons or focal
blur, and a fairly small number of objects ( < 500 or so). That,
presumably, should be simple enough to run in realtime.

In fact, I've built scenes like this, and as you say, if you turn off
enough stuff you can get "almost realtime" rendering if your PC is a big
enough brute. And yes, I would imagine disabling the parser makes it
faster still. (Although on the other hand, how long does it take to
parse half a page of text?)

Now if you could get a *cluster* of PCs to chew on the problem in
parallel, you might be able to render "non-trivial" scenes in almost
realtime. (I would think for faster speeds the network overhead would
loose more than the extra CPU power gains.) As I understand it, there is
absolutely no plan whatsoever to add this kind of thing to POV-Ray - at
least, not in this release anyway.