POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Testing real-time raytracing : Re: Testing real-time raytracing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Testing real-time raytracing
From: Chris Cason
Date: 1 Nov 2006 10:24:51
Message: <4548bc43@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Then, in theory, it could be possible to attach a light source to
> each of the cameras in the clockless animation mode?

technically yes, but we lose the benefits of bounding then (i.e. the light
would have to be placed into the list of infinite objects). either that, or
some sort of manipulation of bounding information would need to occur each
time the camera moved outside of its previous bounding volume.

that said, though, if we say that the light is always at the eye point, we
could take advantage of the fact that we are already tracing a ray from that
point out into the scene, and thus anything that the primary ray intersects
then is by definition visible to the light source - meaning we don't need to
test it separately.

-- Chris