POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Testing real-time raytracing : Re: Testing real-time raytracing Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Testing real-time raytracing
From: Chris Cason
Date: 1 Nov 2006 05:53:17
Message: <45487c9d@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Presumably you need either a trivially simple scene or a 64-core server
> to get truely "real time" performance from this...?

NB rendering with a single thread I still get 6fps on a core 2 system using
the menger spheres animation at 240x180 pixels. Don't be discouraged from
trying it out by the fact that it does best with a SMP system; even a single
core can do OK if you're willing to use lower resolutions.

If sufficient interest is shown in this feature over the next few betas (and
I will gauge this in part by looking at the things people are doing with it
and what scenes they come up with), I will spend more time on optimizing it.
There are a number of techniques that can be applied to speed up interactive
rendering but they involve more time than I am willing to apply to it right
at this instant.

-- Chris

NB one other possibility for the future is interactive control of the camera
position via some means - I've no idea how we could make this portable, which
is the main issue as far as I'm concerned, and if it can't be portable we may
not do it. However the code is mostly already present to allow this to happen
(in terms of being able to send a new camera position to an already-rendering
view).