POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Testing real-time raytracing : Re: Testing real-time raytracing Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:25:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Testing real-time raytracing
From: Chris Cason
Date: 1 Nov 2006 05:37:16
Message: <454878dc@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Presumably you need either a trivially simple scene or a 64-core server
> to get truely "real time" performance from this...?

The main sample scene (a variation of Rune's menger animation using spheres)
runs at about 12fps at 320x240 on a quad core-2 system. There's still a few
bottlenecks in the RTR pipeline, so I expect that this figure will improve
over time. Of course that is still a quite simple scene by POV-Ray standards,
but nevertheless it's interesting enough (I find it a little hypnotic actually).

Using the superellipsoids (basically the original menger sponge scene
modified to support reflection of the mapped image), a quad-core will get
roughly 3fps. not quite real-time but heading in the right direction; as
CPU's scale to more cores and our code is optimized more, even moderately
complex scenes will be able to render at lowish resolutions in real time.

-- Chris