POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Polygon masking possibility? : Re: Polygon masking possibility? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Polygon masking possibility?
From: Alain
Date: 28 Oct 2006 17:27:19
Message: <4543cb37$1@news.povray.org>
Vaclav Cermak nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 28/10/2006 07:03:

> But then there is no need to have high max_trace_level at all, this can
> lead to faster rendering of other parts of the scene.

> I don't know POV internal structure well, but probably you are right,
> POV must first determine, if the ray intersects that polygon and then
> look, if the polygon is transparent at the intersection point or not.
> But all overhead caused by need of shooting new ray is removed (I don't
> know, how much it is, can be saved some work with etc bounding??).

> V.

> Tek wrote:
>> Speaking from a technical point of view I don't think it's possible.
>> It's a good idea but pov can only check the mask for a polygon after
>> computing a ray intersection with that polygon, meaning it's doing
>> exactly the same amount of work as just having a high max_trace_level.

In that case, you can use adc_bailout with a slightly smaller value than the
default (about 1/256).
That way, you don't always go to the max_trace_level. Also, if there is no
reflection nor refraction, or only refraction or only reflection, you stay with
only one ray, meaning minimal slowdown.

--
Alain
If you choke a Smurf, what colour does he go!