POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Polygon masking possibility? : Re: Polygon masking possibility? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Polygon masking possibility?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 27 Oct 2006 20:06:27
Message: <45429f03$1@news.povray.org>
Vaclav Cermak wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I'am now working on some bitmap based grass, bush etc. I'am trying to
> place a lot of rectangles with bitmap grass patches on the groud.
> Bitmaps are partially transparent. The result is, that I have a lot of
> rectangles on every ray hittng the ground, so I must set very high
> max_trace_level to render it correctly...

Make a mesh for each unique piece of bitmap.  Don't put triangles except
where there's grass.

Color the ground like dirt.

When I want to do grass, I generally make a mesh (or a few meshes),
representing a patch of grass.  The I copy it a bunch of times, with
rotation and skewing, to eliminate a tiled appearance.

Regards,
John