POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : DVD image sizes : Re: DVD image sizes Server Time
30 Jun 2024 22:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DVD image sizes
From: Bryan Heit
Date: 24 Oct 2006 11:24:39
Message: <453e3037$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Bryan Heit <bjh### [at] NOSPAMucalgaryca> wrote:
>> Any how, I've been playing around with this and I think I know what it
>> going on.  It appears to be a problem with how povray is writing (or not
>> writing) the aspect ratio to the BMP's header, plus how my video editing
>> software seems to handle BMPs.
>>
>> Bryan
> As far as I know, BMPs don't have an 'aspect ratio' field on their headers.
> Only image size in pixels.

They don't have a specific aspect ratio entry per se.  Rather, they have
4 "size" entries - 2 which are the x and y size in pixels, and 2 which
are the x and y size in units of measure (mm, inches, cm, or something).
  You can calculate the aspect ratio from the second set of "size"
measures.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a good reader for the header, so I
haven't been able to determine exactly what's going on - there is a
difference if you use povray's default aspect ration compared to
assigning it yourself [as right x*(4/3)].  Assuming I counted the bytes
right, this difference is in the second set of size measures for the
image.  If I had to guess, povray probably assigns integer values (i.e.
x = 4 units, y = 3 units) when you use the default aspect ratio, but
stores the decimal values (i.e. x = 1.33333 units, y = 1 unit) when you
enter the aspect ratio manually.

As far as I can tell the problem I was having was due entirely to the
program I was using for converting the bmp's to avi (VirtualDub).  Using
other image formats (i.e. PNG) solved the problem, and updating to the
newest version of virtualdub also fixed the problem; regardless of how I
assigned the aspect ratio to the images.

Bryan