POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Requests - Normal Map and Displacement Map Support : Re: Feature Requests - Normal Map and Displacement Map Support Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Requests - Normal Map and Displacement Map Support
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 23 Oct 2006 22:12:03
Message: <453d7673$1@news.povray.org>
Kyle wrote:
> Here's two feature requests, both of which I think would be very useful, both of
which I'm sure have
> likely been requested sometime in the past:
>
> 1)  Support for normal mapping (RGB type of normal maps)
>
> ... and even better ...
>
> 2)  Support for displacement mapping
>
> Any thoughts on these features?

Both are in wide use when modeling meshes, but have not suitable application
to any other primitive POV-Ray supports. POV-Ray meshes already support
arbitrary normals, and you can easily create meshes with any level of
detail, making displacement mapping completely obsolete (except that a
displacement mapping could make parsing meshes a tiny bit faster). Hence
neither of these features needs to be added, they are already supported.

	Thorsten