POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : grass blowing in the wind : Re: grass blowing in the wind Server Time
4 Jul 2024 00:49:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: grass blowing in the wind
From: Alain
Date: 22 Oct 2006 17:11:36
Message: <453bde88@news.povray.org>
Tek nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 20/10/2006 08:47:
> Well if I was creating a scene to look totally real I'd have started with
> something better than this, which would be capable of filling a scene
> without needing huge render times. The reason this isn't very efficient is
> it was created for the short code contest and then I animated it out of
> curiosity. Short code tends to require brute force solutions. So what I'm
> saying is that despite the speculation in this discussion I have no desire
> to find an efficient way to do this effect, because the basic effect is not
> intended to be any good in the first place!

> Anyway, if I were to start from scratch I'd probably modify the turbulence
> function to repeat itself, then generate a square patch of grass blowing in
> the wind (as a mesh of triangular blades, for speed), then create multiple
> instances of this spread through the world since that takes almost no
> processing time. This also lets me use a trick I've done before of shading
> the blades so they have fuzzy edges, meaning anti-aliasing is less of an
> issue. Only problem is a tiled pattern can look a bit obvious, so I'd need
> to break it up with a few non-repeating features dumped in on top...

> hmm... that's sounding quite tempting now...

You can then use a few different tiles (2 to 4), randomly select, rotate and
mirror them before you translate them to the final position.
Those tiles can have some fuzzy edges and the placement overlaps in those areas.

--
Alain
Gravity is a Myth.  The Earth Sucks!