POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : radial colour gradient : Re: radial colour gradient Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:15:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radial colour gradient
From: Alain
Date: 22 Oct 2006 16:16:21
Message: <453bd195$1@news.povray.org>
Dav_shef nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 19/10/2006 05:09:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> Dav_shef nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 18/10/2006 05:20:
>>> Hi All,
>>> I am trying to get a sphere with a radial colour gradient.
>>> For example, a red sphere that gradually becomes white in its center.
>>> Is there a way to do that ?
>>> Cheers
>>> Dav

>> You can use the spherical pattern. It goes from a value of 1 at the origin and
>> drop to zero at a radius of 1 then stay there.
>> Use it with  color_map{[0 Red][1 White]} and scale that to your spgere radius.
>> The onion proposed by Chris B is similar but repeats itself each unit radius.
>> If your sphere is transparent, you can use the same pattern, but use it to
>> madulate the density of a media filling the sphere. Don't forget to add hollow
>> to your sphere so that it can actualy contain the media.

> Yeah, but do I exactly use this spherical pattern ? can you give me a short
> example ?

> Cheers

> Dav

As a pigment: pigment{spherical color_map{[0 rgb<1,0,0>][1 rgb 1]}scale Some_Scale}
It won't be visible unless you cut out part of the object with a difference or
intersection.
As a media density:
interior{media{emission 1 density{spherical color_map{[0 Red][1 White]}scale
Some_Scale}}}
Sample using emissive media, but you can also use absorbing or scattering media.
The pattern is centered around the origin or <0,0,0>.

--
Alain

about it.