POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : something I've been working on (MPEG1, 468KB) : Re: something I've been working on (MPEG1, 468KB) Server Time
1 Jul 2024 04:00:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: something I've been working on (MPEG1, 468KB)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 14 Oct 2006 03:01:11
Message: <45308b37$1@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote:
> Anyway, about the popularity and Google ranking, here's a few points to
> consider:
>
> - Showcase the system's usefulness, not its technical capabilities. For your
> first particle system, I remember you spent a lot of time creating
> animations with rainbow-colored bouncing balls and other things, and while
> it's great eye-candy, it won't convince people that your system is useful
> for their particular scene, since people rarely need lots of bouncing balls
> and things like that. Cater to their needs and make it easy for them to see
> that your system does exactly what they want for their scene.
>
> - Making it easy to see that it is useful isn't enough either. Make it easy
> to use too. I notice that your I/O particle system comes with only one
> example animation which does take quite long to render and parse. I think a
> lot of the popularity of my system is due to the fact that it includes no
> less than 9 well documented example animations, all showcasing various
> things that are often requested, and several of them are quick to parse and
> render. They are even the same animations that are used to showcase the
> system on the web page, so the users are shown exactly how to make
> animations like those that attracted their attention in the first place.
>
> - Make your system very visible on your website! Dedicating a page to the
> system really makes it easier to notice, and to link to too! Your I/O
> particle system is currently showcased in a small section at the bottom of
> your download page and represented with two animations on your animations
> page. It's rather easy to miss it, even when looking for it.

The "Rune-Three-Steps-To-Fame" program is set in my mind now, don't
worry. :-)

I've been rehauling my website lately (whenever I have the time for it),
and I've thought about introducing "R&D", aka Research and Development
as its own section. Research will cover things that are natively in
POV-Ray, like Radiosity and eventually Photons (the same questions come
up every now and then, so some research is in order), in Development
I'll showcase my Include-Files. And, like you said, instead of spreading
the animations, images and include-files across the entire site, I'll
more likely feature the particle-system on its own page, with links and
thumbnails to the various demonstrations I've got.
R&D might be a little confusing for those that don't yet know what to
expect behind it, but I guess after the initial confusion which my new
website will probably create anyway, it'll fit nicely. :-)

And yeah, I guess I should take a look at my demonstration file and
simplify it, aside of creating a few more...

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias"