POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : render speed, dumb question : Re: render speed, dumb question Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: render speed, dumb question
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 10 Oct 2006 10:28:01
Message: <452badf1$1@news.povray.org>
jhu wrote:
> Your implication is that GCC is inferior to what I'm guessing is Code
> Warrior, which is not always the case.

What do you expect when you compare a multi-threaded GUI program to a
single-threaded terminal application? A terminal application compiled with
CodeWarrior will absolutely be faster, but after all, that was my point from
the beginning: The Mac OS X GUI eats away the processing power very
effectively. Naturally more so when you actually have a GUI application that
has to update status displays while rendering. The rendering for the GUI
application also has to run in a different thread. Of course, (by default)
both get the same time slice, just that the GUI version is burdened running
several GUI-related threads in the same time slice, while the terminal
application runs only one thread.

	Thorsten