POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Emulate browser rendering of png : Re: Emulate browser rendering of png Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emulate browser rendering of png
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 9 Oct 2006 16:47:43
Message: <452ab56f$1@news.povray.org>
jaysonfire wrote:
> I'm new to povray, and I'm trying to do what I hope is a fairly basic scene.
>
> I'm trying to get povray to help me produce GIF files from the combination
> of a PNG and a background color.  The idea is to generate printable
> versions of png images I'm displaying on a website.
>
> I've set up povray with the background color, the png viewed from above, and
> the ambient light source, and I'm converting the resulting TGA file into
> GIF.
> And it works, but it's coming out a bit darker than the image as rendered in
> my browser, and I'm not sure what to do to get the povray version to look
> the same.

> Thanks,
> Jay

Are you using an assumed_gamma in your global_settings block? AFAIK, the
default display_gamma set for POV-Ray is 2.2, if you don't use
assumed_gamma, the images, if used with ambient 1 diffuse 0 and no
lightsource, will look a little different. In any case, assumed_gamma is
probably the cause and looking into it might solve your problem, for me,
using assumed_gamma set at 2.2 often solved that kind of problem when
using POV-Ray as a compositing tool instead of a renderer. :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias"