POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Mathematician needed : Mathematician needed Server Time
1 Jun 2024 10:27:01 EDT (-0400)
  Mathematician needed
From: Bob Frew
Date: 6 Oct 2006 12:45:31
Message: <4526882b$1@news.povray.org>
Help needed please
I am trying to calculate a set of regular distance points along the path of
a conical spiral helix.
I need these to ultimately run a smooth camera around the scene I'm working
on.

So if you have a general spiral helix  where
 R is the large radius
 r is the small radius
 H is the height
 n is the number of turns of the spiral

Anyone know
       a) How long is the total spiral ?
       b) How to calculate (x,y,z) for a given distance along the spiral
(not angle) ?

If this is one of those blindingly obvious things, I'll apologise now.

Thanks Bob