POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Short code competition number 4 : Posting public WIPs (was: Short code competition number 4) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Posting public WIPs (was: Short code competition number 4)
From: Warp
Date: 5 Oct 2006 22:23:37
Message: <4525be29@news.povray.org>
How morally acceptable is it to post public WIPs of scc4 entries?

  First of all, publishing public WIPs breaks the rule that entries should
be anonymous at the judging stage.

  However, that's not the only problem I see with that:

  At least one person is doing this, and he is *getting help* from people
to reduce his scene, as well as improvement ideas.
  I don't know about you, but to me this feels a bit like cheating. Isn't
this an individual competition, where people submit their own work?

  Another thing I find a bit questionable is that he is getting feedback
in advance. Unlike those (like me) who just make a scene and submit and
wait for the contest results to be published, he is getting opinions about
the quality of his work in advance and thus *might* have an upper edge on
further developement.
  Of course nothing would stop me from posting public WIPs too, but I still
feel like it would be kind of cheating.

  Besides, how will it affect judging when people have seen a scene in
advance, before any of the other scenes?
  Sure, it's quite unclear whether this will affect positively or
negatively the votes, but I'm sure that at least in some cases it
*may* have some effect, and I think this is questionable. It's
questionable because, at least in some cases, not all entries may
be judged equally: Some entries have been published before the
judging and thus some people may have a prejudiced (in a positive or
negative way) opinion about that entry.

  Should there be a rule that entries must be previously unpublished?

--
                                                          - Warp