POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Invisible Reflecting Object : Re: Invisible Reflecting Object Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:44:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invisible Reflecting Object
From: Alain
Date: 4 Oct 2006 21:59:25
Message: <452466fd@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v3 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 04/10/2006 13:55:
>> I was wondering (and have experimented and failed) whether you could
>> have a
>> completely invisible object in the scene that specularly reflects light.
>>
>> For instance say you have a red sphere of radius 1, an invisible
>> dodecahedron of radius 1.1, and a few multi-colored spotlights.
>>
>> Can you make it so the reflections shown on the ground and walls come
>> from
>> the dodecahedron's surface without actually seeing the dodecahedron, and
>> all you see is the sphere which seems to be making the dodecahedron
>> reflections?
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
Have the dodecaedron have no_image to make it invisible. Give it a photons block
with target on reflection on.
Give one or the other no_shadow, depending on what shadow you want.
If you have reflective surfaces showing the sphere, give the dodecaedron
no_reflection to remove it's reflection.

> Check out no_image, no_shadow and no_reflect.
>
> Also, if you're shining a spotlight on the thing and expecting to see
> spots of light all over the place, you'll be needing photons to do that.
> What you could do (not sure if it will work properly) is run POV-Ray
> once with the object there as normal (to generate the photon map), and
> then run POV-Ray again with the same photon map but with the object
> removed. or replaced.
That trick does work, and have been used to good effect.

--
Alain
Celebrate Hannibal Day this year.  Take an elephant to lunch.