POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : DVD image sizes : Re: DVD image sizes Server Time
30 Jun 2024 22:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DVD image sizes
From: Bryan Heit
Date: 4 Oct 2006 10:24:20
Message: <4523c414$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Bryan Heit <bjh### [at] nospamucalgaryca> wrote:
>> As I said, it's whats in the documentation, but it doesn't seem to work
>> out that way.
>
>   Rest assured that if it didn't work that way, I would have noticed.
> After all, I have written things like this:
>
> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#aspectratio
>
>> Solved that issue.  Image looks identical on the computer screen,
>> compared to the one rendered above, but does not get distorted when
>> exported to DVD.
>
>   Which image format did you use? OTOH, I don't understand why that
> would make any difference.

I couldn't find my disks with my older material on it, but I did render
a few cubes to demonstrate the effect.  As soon as I have time I'll put
them up somewhere.

Any how, I've been playing around with this and I think I know what it
going on.  It appears to be a problem with how povray is writing (or not
writing) the aspect ratio to the BMP's header, plus how my video editing
software seems to handle BMPs.

If I render in PNG (or targa), rather than BMP, I don't have this
problem.  I looked up the difference in how bmp vs. PNG store aspect
ratio, and they're different.  I suspect that my video editing software
simply is not handling the BMP method of storing aspect ratio correctly.
  Why entering the aspect ratio manually fixes this I don't know.

Bryan