POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smoke.. : Re: Smoke.. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoke..
From: Alain
Date: 3 Oct 2006 22:20:42
Message: <45231a7a$1@news.povray.org>
benighted nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 02/10/2006 15:24:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on c++ program that calculates fluid dynamics and now I have a
> question in how to best render the smoke (just a first test, I'll develope
> it to a more general fluid dynamics engine later on) on povray. The
> simplest idea I was thinking is to use a union (or merge) of boxes that
> each has the transparency that is proportional to the density of smoke in
> the corresponding point in the calculation grid. And after that improve the
> effects by using media in the boxes and so on.. But i guess there are better
> ways of doing it and thought I'd ask =). The thing is that it'll be a lot of
> boxes, of one calculates a grid that is 200x200x200 points one has to draw 8
> 000 000 boxes, although in reality I can shink that number in the output to
> maybe 1 000 000 by not including the ones with a density = 0 (or close to
> it)...
>
> So what do you think?
>
> You can se some output in 2d (the calculations I'm currently doing is in 3d)
> from the program (and a small test program for win32) on my page at:
>
> http://web.comhem.se/~u13140236/FD/FD.html
>
> If you try the software, the buttons to remember (as it as of yet has no
> documentation) are "W" to toggle wind, "S" to toggle smoke, and "A" to
> toggle the flow lines (and one can also controll the windspeed by clicking
> "up" and "down" arrows on the keyboard). I also think the version available
> on the page does not have all the features that are shown in some of the
> screenshots (like that the shades are smoothed between the point and so on,
> but then maybe it has ;). I can't test it right now as I'm in my linux
> enviroment right now)
>
> Regards
> /Jani

As Warp said, you should be beter using DF3. Using boxes, you'll face another
problem: trace level! max_trace_level have a maximum value of 256. If you exeed
that value, you get black. It will also get prety slow.
Using a single box filled by a media and the DF3 file to controll it's density,
is probably faster. You may need to use a high sample value, around 300 or more.

--
Alain
Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.