POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : render speed, dumb question : Re: render speed, dumb question Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: render speed, dumb question
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Oct 2006 21:15:02
Message: <4521b996$1@news.povray.org>
Charles C wrote:
> Somewhere I got the idea that the G4 was pretty efficient per clock speed at
> doing floating point so even at a slightly lower clock speed I would have
> expected it to be somewhat faster or even just "somewhat" slower than the
> p3 1ghz.

That applies only to a desktop system, and if you have it in a notebook most
likely power saving was enabled (it is by default, cuts clock by half), plus
if it was in an iBook rather than a PowerBook, memory will have been slower.
Plus, if it was running on Mac OS X rather than Mac OS 9, you lost another
10%-15% right there. Plus, if you did it with display enabled, that would
again change results, especially on Mac OS X that simply is slower due to
the double-buffered windows forced on applications (it especially hurts if
you have less than 32 MB of graphics card RAM).

	Thorsten