POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : render speed, dumb question : Re: render speed, dumb question Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:17:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: render speed, dumb question
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 1 Oct 2006 17:05:04
Message: <45202d80@news.povray.org>
Charles C wrote:
> Any thoughts as to how well each of the following
> processors should perform compared to each other?  I ask because results I
> saw weren't what I expected... So before I say what the times were, can
> somebody tell me how well they are *supposed* to perform?
<snip>
> generically and not in order of render time:
> A) laptop  p3    1ghz (windows)
> B) laptop  g4  867mhz (osx)
> C) desktop p4  2.4ghz (windows)
> D) desktop socket-a athlon 2.0ghz (windows)

Assuming all systems have sufficient memory and the scene does not use
functions (that is, the function keyword, isosurfaces or parametric), I
would for most scenes expect, fastest to slowest, the order being (with
possible between 1st and 2nd depending on exact P4 and Athlon system
type/config):

C, D, A, B

Why?

	Thorsten