POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Car in HDRI Environment : Re: Car in HDRI Environment Server Time
3 May 2024 00:32:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Car in HDRI Environment
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 22 Sep 2006 22:54:17
Message: <4514a1d9@news.povray.org>
Trevor G Quayle wrote:
> Samuel Benge <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> Hello. I agree with Jim about the headlights. The scene as a whole looks
>> good, but the texture on the ground is blurry near the tires. You might
>> try to make a box on which the car sits, and try to blend that with the
>> background. You could blend the box into the background with focal blur.
>>   It would take a few test renders, but would be worth it, IMO. At any
>> rate, the scene looks good!
>>
>> ~Sam
>
> The best way to do this is to center the spherical mapping at the camera
> location.
>
> -tgq

No, no, I'm talking about the fuzziness of the HDR image.... centering
the HDR image at the camera location helps, but won't make it any
sharper. Since the light probe is a certain size (in pixels) there will
always be blending between pixels, causing the image to look fuzzy. A
higher-res light probe would fix it, but these aren't always available.
Scaling the whole composited image down would also do the trick, but
small images aren't much fun to look at.

The best thing I can think to do is model a ground object with a new
texture, and blend it into the HDR image using focal_blur. The
blur_samples don't even need to be high.... a value of 10 would work.

~Sam