POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering interior spaces: lighting setup : Re: Rendering interior spaces: lighting setup Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering interior spaces: lighting setup
From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 20 Sep 2006 13:55:53
Message: <451180a9$1@news.povray.org>

motorsep wrote:
> Thank you guys for advice.
> After reviewing all answers and tuning materials and settings, I came up
> with that:
>
> http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/797/bedroom01hli4.jpg
>
> Radiosity settings:
>
> radiosity {
> pretrace_start 1
> pretrace_end 0.003125
> adaptive 2
> error_bound { 0.1 adaptive 1.5, 20 }
> count 500
> recursion_limit 3
> brightness 1.5
> low_error_factor 0.2
> nearest_count 7
> }
>
> I use sphere around my scene with such material:
>
> *env
> pigment
> {
> color rgb <0.842, 0.937, 1.000>
> }
> finish {
> ambient 2
> }
>
> And also I use parallel light.
>
> I still can't figure out how to get a rid of artifacts (maybe to increase
> count to >1000), how to have windows not being overbrightened and have room
> lit more evenly and make it lighter (that are a main concerns).
> Any ideas?
>
> Alain,
> If I use this formula for "pretrace_start": >Default = 0.08 or 8% of the
> image's width<, I get pretrace_start = 640*0.08=51.2 and it cause a huge
> increase of rendering time and I get a l ot of artifacts :( Why? What am I
> doing wrong?

	Hem, a slight misunderstanding here: he meant that the default
value is 0.08 which will be interpreted by povray as 8% of the image
width. If you use 1 it will be interpreted as 100% of the image
width and therefore useless.

	In short, you should use "pretrace_start 0.08" as a starting point,
then see what happens when you raise or lower it slightly (ie in the
0.06-0.10 range for a start).

> Also you said: "Keep it at the (pretrace_start / 2^n) domain." What is
> "2^n"? I mean "n" - where is it coming from?

	2^n means "2 to the nth power". Or in other words 2, 4, 8, 16...

		Jerome
- --
|    mailto:jeb### [at] freefr      | ICQ:    238062172            |
|    http://jeberger.free.fr/     | Jabber: jeb### [at] jabberfr   |