POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Realistic Moon : Re: Realistic Moon Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic Moon
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 19 Sep 2006 13:36:48
Message: <45102ab0@news.povray.org>
"Skip Talbot" <Ski### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> Nekar wrote:
>> Is it possible with Pov-Ray to simulate a moonlit scene realisticly? The
>> moon  should reflect the sun's light on earth with resulting shadows on
>> earth.
>>

> The most realistic approach would be using radiosity with probably set
> texture finishes for the moon/sun/earth.  Then the light from the moon would
> actually be reflected from the sun.  But computing pure radiosity from such
> widely spaced points sounds like its asking for trouble.
>
> Skip

Looks like I was asking for trouble...

I was thinking photons from the sun and radiosity and a sphere with variable
reflection and a very small shallow granite normal...

Still, it might be fun to just scale the moon smaller and bring it closer to
earth so that it still looks the same size, have an area spotlight with photons
shine onto the moon and see what happens...

--
-Nekar Xenos-
"The truth is out there..."